Responsive Web Design
Episode 111 Going Responsive with Karen McGrane
December 17, 2015
It’s clear. Responsive is the way to go. One website for all screen sizes, for all devices. But what does it take for a company with an pre-existing site or pre-existing way of working together to make the needed changes to go responsive? It's not about the media queries. It's about everything else. Karen McGrane joins Jen Simmons to talk about her new book, and to imagine an amazing future.
In This Episode
- What does it take to revise an existing site to be responsive? What are the biggest challenges?
- How can you get the whole team on the same page, understanding the complexity of modern web design?
- What about responsive web design is so hard?
- Why using PDFs generated in Photoshop to make final decisions is a lousy way to design. How a process that includes prototypes is much better.
- How to make big changes to the work flow inside a team.
- What we can learn from the past, the transition from analog to digital.
- The possibilities in design that open up once we modernize our content systems and workflows.
- The dangers of using a front-end framework.
- What’s wrong with the industry’s current focus on style guides?
- What does it take to design a true system of content and layout options?
- How might we start empowering content creators with tools for true editorial design?
Episode 99 Implementing Responsive Images with Jason Grigsby
March 10, 2015
It's time to start using responsive images on our websites. You specify multiple files in your image HTML. Browsers download the best one for a user's screen size or context. Improve image quality. Save bandwidth. Make sites load faster. Jason Grigsby joins Jen Simmons to explain all the details.
In This Episode
- Why do we need responsive images?
- The HTML syntax
- Declaring responsive images by width vs. device resolution
- What does 'width' mean in this context
- How to handle art direction
- What to avoid
- How we can start using superior image compression formats like WebP and JPEG2000 — today
- Tools for Drupal and WordPress
Episode 89 Responding Responsibly with Scott Jehl
December 2, 2014
It's clear that responsive web design is the way to build a website in today's crazy world of mobile devices, but what's the best way to do so? How can you create a responsive site that's fast and snappy? Scott Jehl joins Jen Simmons to tell us about the latest in how to do RWD right.
In This Episode
- Progressive enhancement: why, when, how
- Making sites load quickly
- Using inline CSS instead of external stylesheets for the sake of performance
- Preventing jank — problems of things jumping around as the page loads
- Building resilient websites
- Content order in RWD (HTML source order)
- How to work with folks who aren't convinced progressive enhancement is important
Episode 25 Responsive Images with Mat Marquis
July 4, 2012
What's the best way to handle responsive images? There's been a lot of discussion flying around over the last many months, big debates and fast changes… where have we landed? What's coming in the future? Responsive Images Community Group chair Mat Marquis joins Jen Simmons to sort it all out.
Episode 19 Internet in Your Pocket with Luke Wroblewski
March 8, 2012
Luke Wroblewski joins Jen Simmons to talk about mobile, mobile first, mobile web — but what is mobile really anyway? How is it that these devices are changing our lives?
Episode 16 Mobile Capabilities with Jason Grigsby
February 15, 2012
What can we learn from the capabilities of mobile phones to change the web as we know it? How are we in a rut when it comes to thinking about the web, because we are coming from the desktop? Mobile web strategist and author Jason Grigsby joins Jen Simmons to discuss mobile phones on the web, old design patterns, new possibilities and more, including site performance and web television.
Episode 9 Grids with Mark Boulton
November 30, 2011
All about grid systems for the web — why and how. What makes a grid great? How do you create your own? What about responsive web design? Expert Mark Boulton explains.
Episode 3 Everything Web with Jeremy Keith
September 28, 2011
Jeremy Keith joins Jen to talk about Mobilewood, future-friendlying websites, responsive design techniques, digital preservation, HTML5 semantics, Firefox 7, and much more.
Episode 2 Responsive Web with Ethan Marcotte
September 19, 2011
Ethan Marcotte joins Jen Simmons for a conversation about responsive web design, tools, the process of designing a web site, mobile first, what the future may hold and more.