Episode 115 Predicting the future with Rachel Andrew, Eric Meyer, and Jeffrey Zeldman
April 29, 2016
The landscape of what's possible in web page layout is changing. Jen has a theory that this change will be a big one — perhaps the biggest change to graphic design on the web in over 15 years. Rachel, Jeffrey, and Eric join her to debate if that's true or not, and to surmise what the future might bring. This special episode was recorded live at An Event Apart Nashville.
Episode 114 Laying Out the Future with Rachel Andrew
April 3, 2016
Everything about web page layout is changing. New CSS specifications will make it possible to do designs we've never seen before. Rachel Andrew joins Jen Simmons to talk about what's happening.
In This Episode
- The radical change that's coming to layout on the web
- Grid, Flexbox, Alignment, Multicolumn, and more
- What we've had to do for the last 15 years because we have not had proper tools for doing layout in CSS
- Why we started using 960 Grid, Bootstrap, Foundation and other such layout frameworks
- What can Grid do that floats cannot do
- How is Grid different than Bootstrap
- What's the difference between Grid and Flexbox? Why do we have two specs for layout?
- How can we learn all these things?
Episode 81 Changing the Shapes with Sara Soueidan
September 2, 2014
So far, page layout on the web has predominantly consisted of a lot of boxes stacked on top of boxes — rectangular columns everywhere. That's about to change. New specifications, including CSS Shapes and CSS Exclusions, are about to change the shape of the “page.” Sara Soueidan joins Jen Simmons to explain.
In This Episode
- Creating non-rectangular layouts
- The CSS Shapes Level 1 specification
- How to contribute to everyone's learning and become an internet superstar along the way
- The CSS Exclusions specification
- The CSS Figures specification
- What's newly possible in page layout?
- The debate around CSS Regions
- Alternatives to Regions
- The CSS Fragmentation specification
- The CSS Shapes Level 2 specification with SVG paths
Episode 49 CSS Layouts with Rachel Andrew
February 27, 2013
Page layout on the web has been constrained for many years by the available technologies. But new technologies that are coming in CSS3 — flexbox, grid layout, regions, and more — promise for an interesting future. Rachel Andrew joins Jen Simmons to explain.
Episode 9 Grids with Mark Boulton
November 30, 2011
All about grid systems for the web — why and how. What makes a grid great? How do you create your own? What about responsive web design? Expert Mark Boulton explains.